Requesting a replacement card through my Social Security account is a convenient, cost-effective and secure way to ensure Medicare beneficiaries have a critical piece of identification available when required by medical providers as proof of Medicare coverage.

Simply access your online my Social Security account at and select the “Replacement Documents” tab. Then select “Mail my replacement Medicare card.” After you request a card, it will arrive in the mail in approximately 30 days.

This will require that you either set up a Social Security account or have access to one you already set up.  If you need help with your account, please call the office at 904.981.9812.

I recently received some helpful links and thought they would be useful to have on hand:

Home Modifications to Promote Independent Living

Disability Accommodation Cost Guide

Home Safety for People with Disabilities

Fire Safety & Disabilities Guide’s Guide to Transportation

Rights for Those With Hearing Loss

Increasing Physical Activity among Adults with Disabilities

Chronic Pain Relief with Swimming Exercises

Stay Active with a Disability: Quick Tips

Personal Finance Guide for People with Disabilities

I am proud to announce that I was selected as a Florida Super Lawyer for 2015.  I was one of only five Social Security Disability attorneys in the State of Florida.  I was also included in the Top 100 Lawyers and the Top 50 Women Lawyers.  Only two women in Jacksonville were honored with this distinction and I”m proud to call Courtney Grimm of Bedell Ditmar not only a law school classmate but a friend for over 25 years.

Von Willebrand disease can be genetic or it may develop later in life. Either way, it is a condition that can result in significant and prolonged bleeding because of a problem with the von Willebrand factor in the blood that is necessary for proper clotting.

Qualifying for Social Security Disability
Many people with von Willebrand disease can lead healthy lives if they take the right medications. However, sometimes the condition can’t be controlled and in those cases an individual might qualify for Social Security Disability.  If the condition causes significant deterioration of function or very specific issues listed below, SSD might be an option:

1.  Coagulation defect. If a person’s von Willebrand disease causes spontaneous hemorrhage requiring transfusion at least three times during the five months prior to applying, he or she may qualify for Social Security disability.

2.  Anemia. Anemia can be a complication of von Willebrand disease. If someone is anemic and meets the eligibility standard of a hematocrit of 30 percent or less with one or more blood transfusions on an average of at least once every two months, he or she may qualify.

3.  The condition is medically equal to a condition in the Listing of Impairments. If someone can prove that his or her von Willebrand disease is medically equal to any listing in the Listing of Impairments then that person may qualify for Social Security disability.

4.  A medical-vocational allowance. If the SSA considers an applicant’s age, health, education, and vocational history and determines that the person is unable to work and earn a minimum level of income, then the person may qualify for Social Security disability.

An individual only needs to be found eligible in one of the four ways listed above in order to receive Social Security disability benefits.  Establishing that a person falls into one of the four categories can be challenging and typically requires a significant amount of specific medical evidence.

If you love someone with von Willebrand disease then we encourage you to talk to that person about whether Social Security disability may be a good option. This information may be a great way to start the conversation.

And if you need help with a Social Security Disability claim, call me at 904.981.9812.

For Veterans

July 1, 2015

I shamelessly cut this information from the website of Jason Welch, a Connecticut State Senator, but I feel confident he would want the information spread to as many people as possible.
DD FORM 214 — SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFIT Please share this with anyone who had active duty service between January 1957 to December 31, 2001, and planning for retirement. In a nutshell it boils down to this:
You qualify for a higher social security payment because of your Military service, for active duty any time from 1957 through 2001 (the program was done away with 1 January 2002). Up to $1200 per year of earnings credit credited at time of application – which can make a substantial difference in social security monthly payments upon your retirement. You must bring your DD-214 to the Social Security Office and you must ask for this benefit to receive it!
Check out the portion of the Social Security website that addresses this issue:
This is something to put in your files for when you apply for Social Security down the road. It is NOT just for retirees, BUT anyone who has served on active duty between January 1957 to December 31, 2001.

%d bloggers like this: