Trying to Give Money BACK to SSA

August 2, 2017

Sue Brandon got a huge surprise when she checked her bank account one day. She had received a Social Security deposit of $13,098.

The massive amount is a far cry from the $4 per month increase that the Social Security Administration had told her she would be getting after her husband passed away.

“I called them and said, ‘Hey, something’s wrong because there’s no way you can owe me this $13,000,’” she said. …

Brandon said she called the Social Security office over and over again but was repeatedly old they couldn’t get to the bottom of it.

The Brandon said one of the SSA employees snapped at her: “I don’t know what to tell you anymore. Call your congressman.” …

“I’ve never had such a hard time giving back money,” she said. …

Many attorneys have the same problem when an when an attorney fee is overpaid. We issue a check refunding the money to Social Security but the agency immediately issues another check in the same amount. I recently talked with another attorney who was refunding the same fee overpayment for the fourth time!  I personally have mailed checks in only to have them reissued.  Once, I took the check directly to the Atlanta office by hand (I happened to be in in Atlanta at the time) and was still issued a replacement check.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: